recipe: meatball & tomato pasta bake
Here's comfort in a bowl!...this meatball pasta bake can be made with store-bought items or homemade goodness.
- 450g penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for coating the baking dish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans diced tinned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 150g baby spinach
- 500g beef meatballs - homemade or bought
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 200°c. Lightly coat a large casserole dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly firm to bite.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup water. Stir to combine, then add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until just wilted. Remove from the heat and stir in the meatballs and drained pasta.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and half of the cheddar cheese. Top with the remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses. Bake until the top is lightly golden and the cheese is bubbling, for approx. 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Before serving, drizzles with TK Chilli & Lime Flax Seed Oil for an extra warming kick!